Duty of Care
The Club has a duty of care to its employees and all users of the golf course. Caution and care must be shown by all users of buggies. The Club must also ensure adequate safe means of access for all golfers as well as those given permission to use buggies. Moreover, the Club has to ensure the safety of the majority of golfers who do not use buggies but who might be at risk from a mechanically defective buggy or its careless use. The Club’s duty of care also applies to any members of the public who may be on the course.
Conditions of Use
To ensure the safe use of buggies, all users are required to comply with the following conditions:-
- Buggies may only be used by those authorised by HCEG so to do.
- Buggies must be operated with the utmost common sense, courtesy, care and consideration for the safety and convenience of pedestrians. Pedestrians must be afforded the right-of-way at all times.
- Users will be responsible for the security of ignition keys for the period that the buggy is in use in their care and on Club property.
- Any signs and instructions used to warn buggy riders of potential danger areas or areas in which buggies must not be used because of the potential to cause unacceptable wear and tear to the course must be complied with at all times.
- HCEG has no responsibility for ensuring the safe operation of buggies on or beyond the confines of the course and the Club car-parks other than those operated by their servants or agents. The Club will accept no responsibility for any loss or damage caused to any property other than that arising from the negligent use of a buggy by their servants or agents.
Buggy Safe Working Practice
All users must sign a Safety Policy Acknowledgement Form (below) before they are allowed to drive a buggy at Muirfield. This can be signed and sent back to us before the day of play or on the day itself.
All users must ensure that they are familiar with the buggy controls and the constrains on buggy use.
A buggy shall only be used for the number of occupants it was designed to carry and only by those who are authorised to do so by HCEG.
- be satisfied that the buggy is well maintained and fully serviceable;
- not move off until the occupants are seated;
- always remain seated with hands, feet and head kept inside the buggy at all times while the buggy is in motion;
- not drive buggies in prohibited areas;
- use the buggy to progress the game by driving it in the direction of play;
- keep the buggy on pathways or closely mown grass;
- must not drive the buggy in tight circles or into the rough or semi-rough even when looking for golf balls;
- not use the buggy on tees, greens or the slopes leading up to them;
- not use the buggy within 2 metres of any bunkers, ditches or slopes leading to them;
- check the area behind the buggy before reversing;
- apply the parking brake before leaving the buggy;
- always consider the terrain, existing vehicular and pedestrian traffic as well as environmental factors that may affect the user’s ability to operate the buggy safely;
- drive the buggy only as fast as the terrain and safety considerations allow;
- drive the buggy directly up and down sharp slopes to avoid the risk of it tipping over;
- slow down before cornering;
- execute all turns at reduced speeds;
- avoid sudden stops or changes of direction to prevent loss of control or damage to grass;
- take extra care in strong winds or when the course is wet or frosted.
After use, the buggy should be parked on the grass in front of the entrance to the Clubhouse and Locker Room, the parking brake engaged, the operating key turned to the off position ready for collection by a member of staff at the Club.
Buggy Safety Policy Acknowledgement Form
All golfers must complete this form prior to using a Golf Buggy (“Buggy”)
Any person/s who accept the privilege of operating a buggy on Muirfield are required in so doing, to have the knowledge, training and skill to operate the buggy safely and shall be fully accountable for their actions and consequences thereof.
The safe operation of buggies requires responsible application and adherence to the minimum standard of care prescribed by this policy.
Name of User:
By signing below I acknowledge that:
- I have read and understand HCEG’s Buggy Safe Working Practice.
- I understand the terms and conditions of HCEG’s Buggy Safety Policy.
- I have been given the opportunity to ask questions related to this Practice and Policy.
- I am aware of the areas where I am unable to take a buggy.
- I will ensure that the buggy will be used in accordance with the HCEG Buggy Safety Policy.
- I confirm that I have a current and valid insurance policy to cover liability for risks to third parties. I also confirm I have a current & valid driving licence.
- I agree to indemnify HCEG against all claims costs and demands made against HCEG arising out of or in connection with the use of the golf buggy
Signature of User________________________ Date_______________
Signature of Club Official________________________ Date_______________
Users of golf buggies do so at their own risk. HCEG will not accept any liability for any loss or damage to the golf buggy or any other property other than arising from the negligence of the Club or any of its servants or agents.