The decision to move for a second time was both brave and far-sighted. There was no course, no Clubhouse and the nearest train station was 4 miles from Muirfield. However, in May 1891 the Tom Morris designed course was opened, with the new Clubhouse completed that December. In 1892 Muirfield hosted the first 72 hole Open Championship.
In 1922, the Club purchased the exiting links and added a further 50 acres of land. Harry Colt, with excellent advice from Robert Maxwell, past Captain and twice Amateur Champion at Muirfield, re-designed the layout and, for the first time in two centuries, The Honourable Company owned its own golf course.
Members of The Honourable Company, now numbering men and women, have inherited traditions, qualities, physical objects and intangible attributes that exist only because they have been valued, conserved and handed on from generation to generation. It is the rich inheritance from the Gentlemen Golfers at Leith, the legacy of history and heritage and the initiatives and foresight of Members that have sustained the Club for over 275 years.